Fantasy & Beyond

A Book Forum for Speculative Fiction

Discuss SFF books and authors here.
One of my favourite authors as a young (and not-so-young) person is Diana Wynne Jones. She wrote a variety of books, the best known are probably The Chrestomanci Chronicles, or Howl’s Moving Castle.

This particular book I discovered as a mid-teen, coincidentally at the same time as I found The Perilous Gard from 1974’s review. As in, it was on the same remainder table/shelf :lol:

It’s a coming-of-age story featuring young members of 3 different races / groups (Lymans- who are fae-types living in mounds, Dorig -who are fish-like people at war with the Lymans, and Giants - who are humans), and that they need to overcome their prejudices against each other to work out how to overcome a curse that had been placed on the land.

Why I like it
A gentle fantasy, with small-ish stakes, and nice characters.
My favourite was Gair - who is the main character, and I could relate to him being solitary & feeling overshadowed by more “brilliant” siblings.
Elfy, Peat, xiagan liked this
My favourite book of hers is Howl’s Moving Castie. Fire & Hemlock grew on me over the years, and it’s part of the small collection of Tam Lin inspired books I collect.

She wrote such a variety of books, there’s probably something that appeals to everyone somewhere.

That being said, for some reason I never read Dalemark, but I did own them at some point, so I don’t know why :hmm:
Fire and Hemlock is absolutely my favourite Diana Wynne Jones, very emblematic of my late-teenage obsession with the uneasy and weird. (There was so much deeply and significantly weird YA fiction around in the 90s, and I loved it all. Do you guys remember Gary Crew's Strange Objects?)

Amusingly, Archer's Goons is probably her most mentioned book in this household, because every time we're stymied by roadworks it gets a reference. :beaming:
cupiscent wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 23:00 Fire and Hemlock is absolutely my favourite Diana Wynne Jones, very emblematic of my late-teenage obsession with the uneasy and weird. (There was so much deeply and significantly weird YA fiction around in the 90s, and I loved it all. Do you guys remember Gary Crew's Strange Objects?)

Amusingly, Archer's Goons is probably her most mentioned book in this household, because every time we're stymied by roadworks it gets a reference. :beaming:
I've always liked The Dark Lord of Derkholm and it's sequel, as well as the wonderful Tough Guide to Fantasyland