Fantasy & Beyond

A Book Forum for Speculative Fiction

Discuss SFF books and authors here.
It is actually completely coincidental that Lejays and I have done a Diana Lynne Jones novel in consecutive weeks. She was a damn good writer, and we both enjoyed her work.

Cart and Cwidder was actually my introduction her, and while it was the first of the Dalemark series to be published, it was chronologically the 3rd of the series. A few fantasy series, mostly for younger readers, used to do that, probably one of the best known examples is C. S. Lewis' Narnia, and people still argue about whether they should be read in publication or chronological order. This peculiarity is probably why when I first read Cart and Cwidder I had the nagging feeling that there was more to the story that I hadn't read.

I first encountered the book when I was about twelve, at a loose end during a school holiday and saw it at a local bookstore. At the time, and even now, I loved escaping into a world of mystery and adventure, and that was what the world of Dalemark was for me.

I also liked the character of Morel, and his family of travelling performers. It was a story full of the danger and adventure that young readers enjoy. It had clearly delineated heroes and villains, and Morel was an engaging main character, who it was hard not to like.

It was my first Diana Wynne Jones book, and it would not be my last.

Took me ages to figure out exactly what a cwidder was in those days before google.
xiagan liked this
DrNefario wrote: June 6th, 2024, 09:50 I don't know why, but I seem to have completely missed Diana Wynne Jones growing up. I read Howl's Moving Castle a few years ago, and it was very enjoyable. I should probably try some more.
I'd recommend her Tough Guide to Fantasyland which may also find its way onto a future entry in this series of posts.
xiagan liked this