Fantasy & Beyond

A Book Forum for Speculative Fiction

Discuss SFF books and authors here.
By Magnus
As you have surely noticed, some of our users have been sharing their memories of their favourite books from the past and what they meant to them when they read them. I think this is a wonderful way of sharing a slice of your life and who you are and who you were (rarely ever the same person). Some books become fundamental to our own stories in how they match our mood and mindset, teach us an important lesson, or in the way they touch our lives at the time of reading. We can always remember them, and their impact resonates in who we have become today.

So I invite everyone to contribute to this growing collection of mini memoirs. There is a tag you can use for any topic that concerns this. When you create a topic, click the little button to the left of where you enter the topic title, then click A Lifetime of Books. You can add it after creating the topic by editing the first post (I have done so for all topics I could find).
Elfy liked this
DrNefario wrote: June 20th, 2024, 11:17 What if I don't want to give away my age? :)
You can just mention the book without references to age - we all read books published in many different years, and talking about one published in 1980, for example, doesn't mean you were alive then or that you were the "right age" for that level.
We won't assume anything :)
ScarletBea wrote: June 20th, 2024, 11:29
DrNefario wrote: June 20th, 2024, 11:17 What if I don't want to give away my age? :)
You can just mention the book without references to age - we all read books published in many different years, and talking about one published in 1980, for example, doesn't mean you were alive then or that you were the "right age" for that level.
We won't assume anything :)
I have thought of a few possibilities:

- Go backwards, starting from 2024. This will maintain an air of mystery until I stop. Are there more? Is that it? Am I actually only 4 years old, or have I just gone off to do something else for a while? The problem is that the beginning will be quite boring. I'm not even sure I've read any 2024 books yet.
- Pick an arbitrary start year. Some time ago I started (and immediately paused indefinitely) a similar thing with video games, and I picked 1978 as the starting point just because it was the first year I could find reliable information and the right sort of game. I thought it might work out to 50 years if I finished in 2027, but that's looking unlikely at the current rate.
- Just pick some books I remember loving as a child. Many of them will be from outside my lifetime anyway.
I’d go with the3rd option if you don’t want to reveal your age in some way :happy:

Pick books that “speak” to you in some way, regardless in where in your lifetime (or before) they fall.
lejays17 wrote: June 21st, 2024, 13:23Pick books that “speak” to you in some way, regardless in where in your lifetime (or before) they fall.
This is how I'm going to do it, just a handful instead of one per year.
Because I am a tedious nerd, I keep running spreadsheets of everything I read. To my surprise, I've read a book published every year from 1947 through to 2024 (no, I am not in my 80s), except for 1978 which has eluded me for some reason. I struggle to think of more than three or four that have had a meaningful impact on my life, but on an academic level I am intrigued by the possibility of going through the years and finding which era speaks to me the most.
ScarletBea, cupiscent, Elfy and 1 others liked this