Fantasy & Beyond

A Book Forum for Speculative Fiction

Writers of speculative fiction can share can share experiences and advice here.
By Elfy
cupiscent wrote: January 30th, 2024, 03:08 Neck-deep in structural edits on book 3, racing my deadline! :phew: But I'm loving the way the story's coming together, so feeling pretty good.
Both Mrs Elfy and I are both eagerly awaiting this following the ending of Shadow Baron.
cupiscent liked this
By ScarletBea
Elfy wrote:
cupiscent wrote: January 30th, 2024, 03:08 Neck-deep in structural edits on book 3, racing my deadline! :phew: But I'm loving the way the story's coming together, so feeling pretty good.
Both Mrs Elfy and I are both eagerly awaiting this following the ending of Shadow Baron.
Me too, me too!! :grimacing:

And Cameron's book is on my list to buy too, of course!
By tebakutis
I have a lot going on!

My next big project is to finish the next litRPG book in the series I'm writing under one of my other pen names. It's my best seller by far, so I need to knock out the next one in the next few months.

I also need to edit the last volume of Rise of a Manor Lord and get it to my publisher as well to make sure I've got my TE Bakutis pen loaded up on all three books in my current trilogy.

And in addition to that I'm in the midst of two other smaller projects with a different publisher for which I have high hopes.

All of this leaves me very little time to do anything but write, but I've already blocked out several weeks in late Feb/early March to play Final Fantasy VII Rebirth to completion.
cupiscent liked this
By cupiscent
Wow, you do have a lot on your plate! But exciting times, I hope it all goes really well for you!
tebakutis wrote:All of this leaves me very little time to do anything but write...
It's funny how much time serious writing work takes... and how little other people understand that! :lol: Summer holidays have just finished here in Aus, and as has become traditional, my mother was down to visit for the duration. Which was good, because I'm on deadline, so another grown-up around to watch / help entertain the kid was very welcome. But she was reflecting, as I drove her to the airport yesterday, that she and I hadn't spent much time together, because I was so busy working. "This is what you do, I suppose," she said. "But I hadn't realised it was so much work."

Honestly, I hope to avoid ever having deadlines over summer again. NY-based publishing are all "oh, nothing happens in August" but when you try to explain that January in Aus is only for drinking on the couch while watching sporting events on TV, they get all weird! :wacky:
JMack liked this
By Peat
Ack, it's a shame they can't get that.

I'm distracted by lots of things but have refined my process to be

a) Write stories in novella sized chunks (or write novellas)
b) Write a fairly decent first draft
c) Go through it and correct the emotional logic and reveal points
d) Rewrite it to look good

Horribly slow, but at least I know how I work, and I'm closing in on B on a long term project, at which point I'll revert back to a novella to try and get it publication ready. I want a real adventure damnit!

Also need to get back on subs with a couple of projects...
ScarletBea, cupiscent liked this
By cupiscent
Knowing how you work is honestly half the battle; the rest is just persistence. :phew:

Also, the more stories you write, the better you'll get at it. I was going to say "quicker", but... honestly my experience has been not so much? I still work through the same process, it's just that my first draft is better and hits more of the things I learned from last time, but this time I'm learning new things. But there is an element of "quickness" in that the more you write, the more you know you can write. I spend way less time dithering around wondering if I should even be bothering, these days.
Peat liked this
By Quill
I see familiar names, hey Peat and Tebakutis, and a few others I recognise from the old place.

I'm with the same publisher as Tebakutis, Aethon, for two series that I sold to them. So after a long period of relative calm, I have a lot of books being published this year. Two so far this month, and another six on the way before 2024 is out.

Now, I'm just writing standalone novels. Might switch gears and write a historical book about my home region and family history as my next project.
Peat, cupiscent liked this