Fantasy & Beyond

A Book Forum for Speculative Fiction

Discuss SFF books and authors here.
By Hedin
Does anyone know of any Age of Sail type fantasy books that they would recommend? Think like Aubrey-Maturin and Hornblower type of books but with a fantasy twist? I've had an itch on that front and I re-read a lot of A-M and HB last year but I haven't been able to really scratch that itch with a good fantasy book or series.
By DragonFlame
There is a Temeraire series by Naomi Novik, starting with Her Majesty's Dragon, set in the Napoleonic Wars. I have not read it myself and by the nature of Temeraire the battles become mostly airborne. It has been highly recommended to me by a huge A-M fan and I know others here have enjoyed it in the past. Maybe @Elfy can tell you more?
Hedin liked this
By cupiscent
Seconding the Temeraire rec for historical fantasy of that period and ilk.

RJ Barker's Tide Child series is 100% Age of Sail nerdery turned sideways to fantasy, though it's a little grimier. Still, it's all on-ship procedures and logistics and naval engagements, in a rich fantasy setting with, actually, no wood at all. The trilogy starts with The Bone Ships.

I recently read HM Long's Dark Water Daughter which is secondary-world fantasy that feels very much of that era, with added ship's spirits, weather-singers, and a menacing faerie-sea behind the real one. It's a bit less 150-proof Age of Sail, with more on-shore shenanigans, but there's a strong naval element throughout.

And a final suggestion that's more of a reach - The Forever Sea by Joshua Phillip Johnson is a naval fantasy set in a world without water, where tall ships sail through seas of prairie grass, powered by magical bone-fires manipulated through song. It's a little more wondrous than age-of-sail rigorous, but it might be of interest!
DragonFlame, Hedin liked this
By Elfy
DragonFlame wrote: April 11th, 2024, 01:58 There is a Temeraire series by Naomi Novik, starting with Her Majesty's Dragon, set in the Napoleonic Wars. I have not read it myself and by the nature of Temeraire the battles become mostly airborne. It has been highly recommended to me by a huge A-M fan and I know others here have enjoyed it in the past. Maybe @Elfy can tell you more?
The Temeraire books were described as Patrick O'Brian with dragons. I enjoyed the first 3 or 4, but found that the quality gradually declined. Novak did write 9 of them all up, but I really only stuck it out through sheer bloody mindedness. I think @ScarletBea read a few of them, too.
DragonFlame, ScarletBea liked this
By Peat
I see everyone has already beaten me to Temeraire, which is absolutely the obvious recommendation here.

Rob Hayes' Where Loyalties Lie might be worth a look for you.

Also Tim Powers' On Stranger Tides, which was part of the inspiration for Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean, might be worth a look although I've not read that one myself.

Paul Kearney's The Sea Beggars is a fine maritime fantasy duology (without an ending) but not necessarily Age of Sail, while Raymond E Feist's The King's Buccaneer is in a similar boat.
By raptori
+1 for Tide Child - that trilogy was absolutely fantastic, and Temeraire was fun if a little YA-styled for me personally :phew:

Also Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb is incredible. Can be read without reading Farseer first, though those are amazing too... Liveships is a bit different though since it's third-person with many perspectives!
ScarletBea, DragonFlame liked this
By Hedin
raptori wrote: April 13th, 2024, 16:19 +1 for Tide Child - that trilogy was absolutely fantastic, and Temeraire was fun if a little YA-styled for me personally :phew:

Also Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb is incredible. Can be read without reading Farseer first, though those are amazing too... Liveships is a bit different though since it's third-person with many perspectives!
Was there naval combat in Liveships? I don't remember any but also I didn't really like the series so a lot of the details got excised from the memory banks.
By raptori
Hedin wrote:
raptori wrote: April 13th, 2024, 16:19 +1 for Tide Child - that trilogy was absolutely fantastic, and Temeraire was fun if a little YA-styled for me personally :phew:

Was there naval combat in Liveships? I don't remember any but also I didn't really like the series so a lot of the details got excised from the memory banks.
Depends what you mean by naval combat! It's been a while but I'm pretty sure they didn't have cannons etc, but did have ship-to-ship action and chases and that kind of stuff!
ScarletBea wrote:@raptori , we have to resign ourselves to being the only ones who love Liveship Traders :uglycry:
:beaming:
Yeah it's so sad really! So many people skip it, and many others like it less than they might at another time since they're impatient to get back to Fitz...