Fantasy & Beyond

A Book Forum for Speculative Fiction

Discuss SFF books and authors here.
By Arun-Bender

Shocking. If any authors here have audiobooks on Spotify, then be wary.

Spread the word as needed.
By cupiscent
This is genuinely bananas. I don't know what they're thinking. Any big publishers will either negotiate a different contract or pull their books immediately, and any indie authors cannot afford to sign on for that. But it's so exhausting for the indies, who are totally up against it from every angle at the moment.
By Magnus
I can't find any articles about these changes, which seem entirely bonkers and a great way to get every publisher to withdraw their catalogue immediately. So I'm not sure how reliable this information this is. Then again, it might be that the big publishers negotiate separate deals, so this is just for indie creators. That wouldn't surprise me, at this point.

I did find another article that's quite worrying. I am so tired of these big corporations who see creativity as just another commodity to bottle and sell, with zero concern for how their actions affect the people who pour their hearts into creating the content.
By cupiscent
I don't know about articles - I've been hearing about it via indie / hybrid authors, mostly romance authors. Here's Courtney Milan (romance author and lawyer) discussing it, and linking to the terms citing the relevant portion.

I will note that the terms do specifically say: "For the sake of clarity, these Terms do not authorize Spotify to use User Content to create a new book, ebook or audiobook, or to use User Content to create a new, machine-generated voice without your permission." But Milan highlights the problems that still leaves.
By Magnus
That does still sound bonkers.
By Magnus
Christopher C Fuchs wrote:It's still early days, but this is the kind of thing that will eventually drive creatives to Web3 platforms imho.
What does that entail?

I keep thinking about how we could do the internet, but better. Although that is probably a separate discussion which might end up being about dismantling late-stage capitalism. :beaming:
By Christopher C Fuchs
Magnus wrote: February 18th, 2024, 07:02 What does that entail?
Web3 is intended to be more decentralized, more organic, and more beneficial for creators and their fans. Web1 was the original and more static Internet, Web2 saw the centralization and walled gardens of Big Tech. Some examples of Web3 would be Twitter being replaced by something like BlueSky/Mastadon/Nostr, or Spotify being replaced by Audius. These are still centralized to varying degrees, so they are probably more like stepping stones. Again, still early days, lots of hype, and things will continue to evolve. But the idea is for creatives to connect directly with fans who pay/support them directly. No middlemen and no selling of everyone's personal data. In theory!
By Arun-Bender
Here's an update. Looks like they are trying to feed these into their AI so they can automate content creation (as in creating books). *smh*