Fantasy & Beyond

A Book Forum for Speculative Fiction

If you have a question, problem, or a suggestion that concerns the F&B forums, this is the place to go!
IMPORTANT: Please check the Help Section and Known issues & already suggested thread before posting. Thank you!
By cherie
I know this is more a me thing than anything else, but I always struggle to read to long posts of white text on a dark background. I get lines going across my vision and can't bring the text into focus to read it after a while.

Is there an option to allow individual users a choice between this, and a lighter theme?
Ned Marcus liked this
By ScarletBea
Hi, I'm the same, but for me it seems like this board's background isn't a harsh black so that doesn't really happen as strongly.
I don't think it's possible to change, there was a lot of work to reach this point in the format, but I'll let Magnus reply.
By Magnus
cherie wrote:I know this is more a me thing than anything else, but I always struggle to read to long posts of white text on a dark background. I get lines going across my vision and can't bring the text into focus to read it after a while.

Is there an option to allow individual users a choice between this, and a lighter theme?
Not at this time, sorry. First, I would have to tweak the original light theme to look better and conform with the general colours of the dark theme. Then I would have to create a second installation of the forum style, which doesn't just involve the colours but a lot of other elements. Since I have modified the style extensively by altering individual files, that would become very tricky. For that reason, an alternate light theme is listed as "not currently planned" in this thread. I do hope to achieve this, but it will be much further down the road, when I have a lot of other planned features in place and have had the chance to learn more about creating my own board extensions.

Have you had this issue on these forums? The text isn't white but grey with 90% lightness, and the background isn't black, but grey with 12% lightness. So the contrast isn't as sharp, and it theoretically it shouldn't strain your eyes so much to read it. Perhaps try zooming a bit, since the text is quite small? Otherwise, I believe there are browser plugins to let you change colours of homepages.

I hope that explains it! :)
By cherie
Thanks. I've used a few different forums over the years, and I know some have been easier to tweak than others, so I thought I'd ask. I apologise, I didn't see think of, or look for the FAQ thread before I asked. It's a noob error, and as I've been a mod elsewhere who was constantly moaning about idiots not reading the FAQs (that I'd written!), I really should know better! I'm now the idiot.

Unfortunately, it is a slight issue on here, although it takes a bit longer for the blurriness to kick in. It's definitely worse on a desktop, and probably not helped by the screen distance. On my phone, it's easier, (plus I've just found I've got a feature on there to flip the colours if I'm really struggling), so although it takes much longer to type posts, I'll probably mostly stick to that.
By Magnus
cherie wrote:It's a noob error, and as I've been a mod elsewhere who was constantly moaning about idiots not reading the FAQs (that I'd written!), I really should know better! I'm now the idiot.
I know the feeling. On another forum for a gaming league that I helped run, I would moan about how difficult it was to get the players to follow simple instructions, then occasionally as a player fail to follow those instructions myself, even though I wrote them! :phew:
By Magnus
After reading a bit more about dark themes, I've been fiddling with the font-weight settings (how bold the font is), and it has a HUGE impact on readability. So I'll implement some changes over the weekend that should help a lot. On a dark background, the font weight has much more of an impact, so I need to turn it down a little. You will see what I mean when I bring the changes live! :)
By Magnus
Let me know if you find the posts easier on the eye now, @cherie, as I've made a few changes that I hope will help.
By Ray McCarthy
Are there a choice of themes?

I find dark theme very hard to read and tiring.
Yes, I know you have
NOT CURRENTLY PLANNED
A light theme. Currently the ability to switch between themes requires too much work, but it may be possible further down the road.
But this is too totally ghastly a theme to use at all.

However

Glad you're back.

Thanks for the email Bea.
ScarletBea liked this
By Magnus
(The above post was merged with the already existing thread about the theme.)

Ray McCarthy wrote:Are there a choice of themes?
There is not at this time, I'm afraid. I will try to prioritise it a bit higher, seeing as some people have problems reading the dark theme. I certainly want everyone to be able to use these forums. But you still can't expect it any time soon, as it's a lot of extra work due to how I've had to implement the fairly extensive changes I've made. But certainly not impossible.

Ray McCarthy wrote:But this is too totally ghastly a theme to use at all.
I'm sorry you feel that way and that you felt the need to express it in such a manner.

These days I feel the same way about light themes, which quickly tire my eyes. I will keep working to make this place accessible for everyone, so do check back every now and again.
By Ray McCarthy
I think a lot of screens are too bright causing issues with natural paper like themes.

The vivid purple stripes and small font doesn't help. Though I can fix the size. About 120% makes it about the same as everywhere else, though I run Amazon at 90%

This is absolutely the only web site I use that is 'dark only'.

I'll check occasionally to see what this is like. Bye for now.