Fantasy & Beyond

A Book Forum for Speculative Fiction

Off-topic discussion.
I know this is a small group, but you guys are avid readers. I'm asking because I write in these genres (historical fantasy and science fiction—I may include epic too) and want to get an impression of how much crossover there is amongst fans of fantasy.
I'll read any kind of fantasy, if the story and characters sound interesting to me. Sci-fi can be less my thing; I'm not big on the workings of gadgets, so a variety of flavours of SF don't float my boat. I think in general you'll find plenty of crossover in readership.
cupiscent wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 10:04 Sci-fi can be less my thing; I'm not big on the workings of gadgets, so a variety of flavours of SF don't float my boat. I think in general you'll find plenty of crossover in readership.
What kind of science fiction do you read?

I usually read idea based SF (I used to like Brian Aldiss) or adventures in space (Lois McMaster Bujold). Most of the modern SF I've read has been short stories.
I've been reading up on Chinese Historical Fantasy, both palace dramas as well as wuxia/xianxia.
Most of them take place in what is generally called the Jianghu (rivers and lakes), which is a fictional historical setting of China common in these types of novels/other media.

I'm not aware of any scifi crossovers yet. There have definitely been urban fantasy versions however.
Ned Marcus wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 13:33
cupiscent wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 10:04 Sci-fi can be less my thing; I'm not big on the workings of gadgets, so a variety of flavours of SF don't float my boat. I think in general you'll find plenty of crossover in readership.
What kind of science fiction do you read?

I usually read idea based SF (I used to like Brian Aldiss) or adventures in space (Lois McMaster Bujold). Most of the modern SF I've read has been short stories.
Honestly, I read very sparingly in SF because of my preferences. In general, cyberpunk is not so much my thing, though I occasionally make an exception for Neal Stephenson. Sometimes space opera works better, but I prefer things that are more ideas-heavy like Ann Leckie or Arkady Martine or Becky Chambers. Heavy character-based stuff works well for me, like Murderbot, or the Locked Tomb books. In general, the sci-fi that's sort of near(ish) future earth but There's This Big Difference is not my thing, because too much revolves around the technicalities of that Big Difference.
Ned Marcus liked this
I read a smattering of sci-fi here and there. Mainly the Vorkosigan Saga, but I'll get talked into something here and there every now and again, usually by an author who wrote both sci-fi and fantasy I really admire. I kind of want to reread Gaunt's Ghosts at some point. I don't go looking for sci-fi though.

Historical fantasy... hmm, depends slightly by what is meant by historical. But not a huge ton. A couple of GGKs ever year (got to space the good stuff out). Done a couple of Tim Powers and mean to do more. Got a group read of Mary Gentle's Ash coming up.