Fantasy & Beyond

A Book Forum for Speculative Fiction

Discuss SFF books and authors here.
By Hedin
ScarletBea wrote: February 8th, 2024, 17:24 They've published the final results today:
http://fantasy-faction.com/2024/fantasy ... ks-of-2023

I can't believe @cupiscent's book isn't there, I voted for it!
Out of the 50, I've read 1 and have 8 on my list to buy the paperbacks.
I don't recognise most of the others and I hadn't even heard of the book or the author who won :hmm:
The Will of the Many is actually one of the few books I read last year. It is a very tropey outsider kid goes to a magic school book where you see things coming from quite a ways away but it also leans into the trope and I think pulls it off really well.

I read 5 out of the Top 11 this past year (System Collapse, Tress, Lightbringer, Amina Al-Sirafi, and Will of the Many) which feels like a lot for me in a yearly list. There are at least some additional books that came out from authors I have liked before that I need to go look at, for me that's always been the value of the list to find things I missed rather than caring about the actual rankings.
By Elfy
I’ve read 8 of them and have at least 3 on the tbr pile. I agree with Bea, Dee’s book should be there. Maybe it was because it came out late in the year and from past remembering they collate that list early.
By Peat
Elfy wrote: February 9th, 2024, 01:11 I’ve read 8 of them and have at least 3 on the tbr pile. I agree with Bea, Dee’s book should be there. Maybe it was because it came out late in the year and from past remembering they collate that list early.
Sounds about right. Which drives me nuts. When I come to power, any site or critical body found starting their end of year list process before the end of the year will be proscribed and forbidden to meet.

Although even with that, late releasers are on a hiding to nothing because there's so many people where it takes a few months for them to get to a book.

Anyhoo, I have started 2 of those books, DNFed 1, and have 4 on the TBR. I don't think there's anything wrong with the list mind, I just don't connect with what's being published.
xiagan liked this
By cherie
I always seem to be a few years behind with releases, unless it's a few specific authors. Out of that 50, I've only read one! There are 5 on my TBR list, and a couple of others that are on my radar as maybes for the future.
By DrNefario
What I mainly see is how horribly out of touch I have become. I was never really an up-to-the-minute kind of guy, but there are new books and new series there that I wasn't aware had come out. I think I'm just reading my second 2023 book, now.

I have heard of James Islington, though, and have the first book of his earlier series waiting to be read one day. As a whole, the list seems fairly decent.
By ultamentkiller
Yeah these books are all over Booktube and Booktok. Fourth Wing is popular but man have I heard some terrible things about it. There are a few that I want to try but waiting for the series to be completed.
By Peat
cupiscent wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:25 I feel like that's more of a... what's the most popular books of 2023? Not so much necessarily the best? But that probably says more about my snooty, grumpy taste. :beaming:
What do you think is missing beyond the obvious? I mean it's definitely the best of from a reader taste-group different from thee and me and many of our company, but at the same time, I'm not aware of a bunch of books from that year I'm shouting for them to be higher.