Fantasy & Beyond

A Book Forum for Speculative Fiction

Discuss SFF films, TV series, games, comics, and other media here.
IMPORTANT: Please use the relevant topic prefix tag (or tags). You can find them in the editor by clicking the list symbol to the left of the subject line.
By DragonFlame

These are covers for The Keltiad by Patricia Kennealy-Morrison. Or Patricia Kenealy, depending how she felt at the time.

The Keltiad is a strange mix of Fantasy Sci/Fi based on the premise that the Irish saint, Brendan The Navigator, fled earth and founded colonies on distant planets, some based on Arthurian type tradition. And yes, Arthur does re-appear at a time of need. ;)

This is a very bare explanation of books I thought wonderful thirty years ago. They were long and well written not sure how they will stand up to to time, but very strong women characters and well planned plots. The print is probably far too small for me to read again, but the covers are as beautiful as ever. Just wish I had been able to get hardbacks at the time.

The cover artist is Thomas Canty.

Has anyone else read The Keltiad?
ScarletBea, Elfy liked this
By Elfy
DragonFlame wrote: May 8th, 2024, 03:25 Image

These are covers for The Keltiad by Patricia Kennealy-Morrison. Or Patricia Kenealy, depending how she felt at the time.

The Keltiad is a strange mix of Fantasy Sci/Fi based on the premise that the Irish saint, Brendan The Navigator, fled earth and founded colonies on distant planets, some based on Arthurian type tradition. And yes, Arthur does re-appear at a time of need. ;)

This is a very bare explanation of books I thought wonderful thirty years ago. They were long and well written not sure how they will stand up to to time, but very strong women characters and well planned plots. The print is probably far too small for me to read again, but the covers are as beautiful as ever. Just wish I had been able to get hardbacks at the time.

The cover artist is Thomas Canty.

Has anyone else read The Keltiad?
I’m not sure if I read all of them, but definitely some of them. The covers were very attractive. I’m pretty sure Patricia Keneally claimed to have been Jim Morrison’s wife by way of a pagan ceremony.
Some of my favourite covers were the Don Maitz ones for Dave Duncan’s first Pandemia quartet A Man of His Word. I bought first book purely on the cover and loved it. The original covers for Barry Hughart’s Master Li books were great, especially A Bridge of Birds, which was exquisite. Lejays gave me a framed version of One Salt Sea, which is amazing and the Kirby and Kidby covers for Discworld were iconic.