Fantasy & Beyond

A Book Forum for Speculative Fiction

Discuss SFF books and authors here.
By ScarletBea
I could have sent a PM, but this way other people can know about this book...
@Peat , I just found out that Simon Jimenez's The spear that cuts through water is out in the UK mid March.
I remember your review in your blog, but do you think I'd like it?
By Peat
I don't think I have enough of a handle on your tastes to be sure tbh. It's a bit of a marmite book and hard to compare stuff to. I am fairly sure it's right up @cupiscent's alley if that helps, and I am indeed once again urging cupi to ignore the list and promote it to a priority read.

But you like the Jemisin that does the 2nd person PoV right? So that's obstacle to liking it out of the way. You've also got to accept it's a slow start, that the prose can get a little obtuse, and that you might get frustrated with the worldbuilding being a bit drip drip and not enough in some areas...

... but other than that, I think you'd like it. I mean, I loved it despite it doing several things I loathe, so I generally take the point of view that if people don't absolutely despise its weak points they should try it.
ScarletBea, cupiscent liked this
By ScarletBea
Thanks.
I've just read Fantasy Hive's review and they included a few quotes - I'm not sure I'd like that writing, to be honest...
Maybe it's a case for trying it from the library, if it's there
By DragonFlame
V E Schwab has recently added a new book to the Shades of Magic series, The Fragile Threads of Power.
I enjoyed the story of the three Londons, and re-reading a couple of years ago was still a pleasure. I am not sure how it will feel returning after so long. Has anyone here read this latest book and could comment?