Fantasy & Beyond

A Book Forum for Speculative Fiction

Off-topic discussion.
By Doctor_Chill
Some of us have been out of the FF loop for a while, whereas others have been steadily involved for a few years prior to this newly started forum. Do we think it might be a good idea to have (re) introductions for older people (like me) and introductions for newbies? I think so! Be brief! Be verbose! Please let us know who you are!
ScarletBea, Magnus, Eclipse and 4 others liked this
By cupiscent
The instant Faith-No-More ear-worm I got from this thread's title is hilarious. :lol:

Hello, I'm Dee! I'm Australian, and obviously old enough to get ear-wormed by early FNM... I write fantasy books (currently the Burnished City trilogy from Orbit) as Davinia Evans, and I read loads of spec fic, preferring political city shenanigans over grimdark wilderness adventuring, and a sprinkling of romance. Some faves are Scott Lynch, Melissa Caruso, Daniel Abraham, Freya Marske, NK Jemisin, KJ Parker, Guy Gavriel Kay.
Doctor_Chill, Eclipse, ScarletBea and 5 others liked this
By ultamentkiller
Hi everyone. I'm ultamentkiller. Not much to say about me. I'm 26 and live in the US. I've been married for two years, have a wonderful guide dog named Ursa, and a beautiful ginger cat named Blaze. I am completing my master's degree at an Orthodox Christian seminary, and right now am looking for work while I build my ministry.
Favorite fantasy series are Lightbringer by Brent Weeks, The Wandering Inn by Pirateaba, Worm by Wildbow, and Licanius Trilogy by James Islington. And I could always name more series.
Outside of fantasy books, I love Formula 1 and Indycar. Happy to chat about that any time. I'm also an advocate for people with disabilities, especially the blind, so feel free to ask questions or talk about accessibility stuff with me and I will try to help.
Think that covers it.
Doctor_Chill, Eclipse, ScarletBea and 5 others liked this
By Doctor_Chill
ultamentkiller wrote: I am completing my master's degree at an Orthodox Christian seminary, and right now am looking for work while I build my ministry.
My wife's in seminary currently, an interdenominational one in Massachusetts. Taking Greek II right now. Good luck my friend! It's tough work for sure.
Are photos allowed? This is my family. This was us during Christmas at her parents. The little one is Cecelia (CC), and she was 13 months here. I woke up at 5am this morning to snag the last spot in daycare for her. She is the best thing in the world and one of the reasons I've struggled with reading in the past year. She wasn't sleep trained until 8 months and still in our room for most of that!

Anyway, I'm doing well. We've stayed in our small Texas town since I joined FF a little over a decade ago. I work for a nonprofit and serve as the administrative supervisor / grants manager for our two indigent, safety net clinics. She's a college minister. I garden and she reads -- 120 (mostly) fiction books last year! We love our simple life and the work we get to do for our community.

Back a decade prior, I was big into Fantasy Noir, Scott Lynch, and Weird Fantasy. My tastes have mellowed a bit, so for context, we spent the summer watching Studio Ghibli movies and reliving our childhoods. I think that's kind of where I want to take my foray into reading again -- ala Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa, etc. Looking for recommendations, so please send them my way.

Excited to dive back more into SFF reading and writing, that's for sure!
Eclipse, ScarletBea, ultamentkiller and 5 others liked this
By Elfy
Doctor_Chill wrote: February 8th, 2024, 03:07
ultamentkiller wrote: I am completing my master's degree at an Orthodox Christian seminary, and right now am looking for work while I build my ministry.
My wife's in seminary currently, an interdenominational one in Massachusetts. Taking Greek II right now. Good luck my friend! It's tough work for sure.
Are photos allowed? This is my family. This was us during Christmas at her parents. The little one is Cecelia (CC), and she was 13 months here. I woke up at 5am this morning to snag the last spot in daycare for her. She is the best thing in the world and one of the reasons I've struggled with reading in the past year. She wasn't sleep trained until 8 months and still in our room for most of that!

Anyway, I'm doing well. We've stayed in our small Texas town since I joined FF a little over a decade ago. I work for a nonprofit and serve as the administrative supervisor / grants manager for our two indigent, safety net clinics. She's a college minister. I garden and she reads -- 120 (mostly) fiction books last year! We love our simple life and the work we get to do for our community.

Back a decade prior, I was big into Fantasy Noir, Scott Lynch, and Weird Fantasy. My tastes have mellowed a bit, so for context, we spent the summer watching Studio Ghibli movies and reliving our childhoods. I think that's kind of where I want to take my foray into reading again -- ala Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa, etc. Looking for recommendations, so please send them my way.

Excited to dive back more into SFF reading and writing, that's for sure!
Chill, if you liked Howl's Moving Castle, you could always check out more Diana Wynne Jones. The Dark Lord of Derkholm is fun.
Now, I've successfully taken the thread off track, I'll do my intro here. I'm Elfy, I read a lot (last year I equalled Mrs Chill's total of 120). My wife known here as Lejays is also a reader. Outside of that and here, Mrs Elfy plays softball in the summer, and I score for the team she coaches, I also usually suit up for our club's mens Masters Team (35 +, although most of us are over 45) at the yearly Victorian Masters Championship in country Victoria. Cupiscent and I reside in the same state and I attended her book launch last year. Only the second time I've managed to meet a member of the forum face to face, so that was exciting.
I'm a keen follower of Aussie Rules football and obsessed by my team the Richmond Tigers.
In terms of readers, I'm a huge The Lies of Locke Lamora fan (I've read it 22 times at last count). I've also discovered the wonder that is T. Kingfisher recently (actually come to think of it, Chill may like her stuff, too) and I'm also very partial to anything written by Catherynne M. Valente. Currently rereading Discworld, mostly in publication order, although I found out the other day, I've managed to mess that up, but when I finish Monstrous Regiment I'll fix that.
I do also write, but mostly for myself (largely because I can't get anyone else to read what I write). I have this idea for an epic fantasy set in a gold fields city, which I've just embarked on, it could take quite a while.
Eclipse, ScarletBea, Doctor_Chill and 5 others liked this
By Eclipse
I am an Elder god of the weather, I'm the rain,wind and heat. I bring destruction and rebirth. Treat me with respect for you never know what I will do next at any time I can give you happiness or pain.

When I'm bored I manifest as a human and work as a 18 to 30 Holiday rep. Giving foolish tourist sun lotion when I give them sunburn. I take and give.

When I got free time and not causing a eclipse in the universe. I post on here nice to meet you all.
cupiscent, Elfy, ScarletBea and 5 others liked this
By ScarletBea
Chilly, I loved the photo, your little one is adorable :loveit:

Hi all, I'm ScarletBea! I'm an adopted Yorkshire lass, born in Portugal, and I love reading, mainly Fantasy and non-fiction (mainly on climate, psychology, politics, science)
I'm an introvert and just like to interact with people with the same interests, in which case I can talk a lot :beaming:
I work in Finance, messing around with spreadsheets, and really enjoy it. I'm very active in a few community support groups at work, both doing things myself and organising them for others.
Just over 6 years ago I got a house in a village, basically countryside but near the town where I work/lived previously and love it: walks in the fields, seeing cows, sheep and horses, it's all very relaxing.

I'm an Admin and Mod in here, and love to have you all around!
Doctor_Chill, ultamentkiller, Magnus and 5 others liked this
By cherie
Hi all, I'm Cherie.

Let's see, I'm 40 something, and live in the UK. I read a fair bit, jumping mostly between fantasy and sci-fi, with a side of horror and thrillers. The current count in my library is over 1100 books, about 2/3 of them I have actually read. I do need to have a small cull though, as I'm running out of shelf space :uglycry: I'm also a little bit of a gamer;: mostly PS4 and PS5 these days. I went through a stage of getting into photography, but life got in the way, and I'm very out of practice. One of the things I want to do this year, is get out with my camera a bit more.

I will lurk more than I post, as I find these days I contribute online as much to conversations as I do in real life. I forget I'm meant to join in now and then, rather than just listening. :peek:
By lejays17
Okay, words about me :amused:

As Mr Lejays (seeing as he went all formal & introduced me as Mrs Elfy :* :* ) said, I’m a reader as well. We first bonded over A Song of Ice & Fire back before GRRM even thought about selling the rights to the TV show (just over 21 years ago…)

I haven’t been reading as much as I used to since taking up knitting again as a hobby - it’s a bit harder to prop open the paperback books which are my preferred format to read on the arm of the couch.
But my aim this year is to try to read more books from the piles taking over the house. I tend to prefer the lighter side of fantasy (not so much the grim dark depressing reads), but will read most things if they catch my attention.
Favourite authors / books is a bit trickier - I go thru phases - but ones always on my list are Terry Pratchett, Anne McCaffrey, Diana Wynne Jones & Gail Carriger.

Outside of reading & knitting - I play & coach softball in summer. A frankly horrifying 40 years this year :scream: :scream: . I’m the longest-serving member of my club, and a Life Member. It’s just what I do in summer. I talked Elfy into playing Masters & we both enjoy the weekend in June a lot.

Oh, and Doctor Who is my first true love :lol:
By JMack
Hello, I'm "JMack", I 'm 62 years old, and I have a problem with Tuesdays. Right now, Tuesdays are rock band practice. I'm the lead singer (mostly) in "The Ambleband", a workably competent bunch made up of 60+-somethings in our "Active 55+" community.

Tuesdays are also "FLICC" meetings once a month, i.e. Film Lovers in Carroll County. Before we moved to Amblebrook (the 55+ community) in 2022, Mrs. JMack and I were full-on members of the group that talked about film, watched movies, and selected which ones would be shown at the local Arts center. Since we moved here, not so much--it's a 40 minute drive south. BUT, Mrs. JMack wants to start up going again.

And, Tuesdays are cantor practice once a month at the church we joined here in Gettysburg, PA. I've sung in church since I was 13, but again, since we moved here, not so much. Mrs. JMck and I have enjoyed actually sitting together during Mass. (What a concept.)

So, even retiring from being a strategy & market research guy in a few months isn't going to help me with Tuesdays.

Otherwise, I'm a lifelong Fantasy & Science Fiction reader, starting with wonderful old chestnuts of the Chronicles of Prydain, Narnia, and Middle Earth. As a teen ager, I read tons of Conan and Edgar Rice Burroughs without any awareness of the bigotry and sexism on constant display. Duh. In the '80s, I read a lot of CJ Cherryh (though the Foreigner series does nothing for me). And these days, my taste is very wide in what I read.

When I joined F-F in November 2014 and met all of you (yay!), it started me writing. I think I wrote over 80 very short stories because of you. What a gift. But with life, work, and other matters, I've only written occasionally the last few years. So, when I retire (which is a constant refrain around this house), writing is a big part of my dreams.

Mrs. JMack (Lisa) has been retired from teaching for a bunch of years. She is a wonderful "giver", who can exhaust herself taking care of others. JMacksson (David) was a small batch hummus maker who sold at farmers markets. But he couldn't scale, and is now the finance guy for a small company that provides and maintains beehives to people/companies who can afford such. And he's getting married in a few months. JMacksdotter (Celia) was a Latin teacher. But Covid burned her out, and she works as a school administration staffer. She just convinced the school to give her a big raise after teaching herself to code and becoming a spreadsheet guru-- she knows her worth.

Sorry for tl;dr. Just glad to be back with you all.
ScarletBea, Doctor_Chill, lejays17 and 6 others liked this