Fantasy & Beyond

A Book Forum for Speculative Fiction

Off-topic discussion.
By Magnus
So, I would like to move away from Amazon, particularly devices and services that tie only to them (funnily enough, I was reminded of this by seeing their spider crawling our forums). That means I want to find good alternatives for my Kindle and the Amazon ebook store, as well as for Audible and Goodreads.

I just signed up for Storygraph, so I will be trying that out as a Goodreads alternative.

As for an e-ink reader, ebook stores, and audiobook service, I am completely open to suggestions. I have done some research and reached out for suggestions for this before, but I figure I'd rather just leave the field open for now.

I am looking for an e-ink reader that I can use with multiple stores without issues. As for functionality, I am happy with my Kindle paperwhite, so I want something along those lines. I have a reMarkable, so I am not looking for note-taking functions, nor am I particularly interested in other extended functions like browsing the internet; I want an e-ink reader, not a fully equipped distraction machine! :grimacing:

Grateful for any tips or advice!
By cupiscent
I think we discussed this on bluesky but I can't remember the details of what I shared. Possibly we talked more about audiobooks?

I was platform-agnostic on my ereader for as long as possible, but my generic Sony ereader stopped being supported, and now I have a Kobo. I buy very few books through Kobo itself - I largely get them through independent stores, direct author sales, or just borrow from the library. (The built-in overdrive support is so handy for that purpose.) It does work with Adobe ID DRM, but can also load files directly. I will note that the Kobo doesn't support Word docs (which is how I often get blurb copies of books, and I gather Kindles can read them) but some chicanery with converting to PDF can get around that one.

I'll also toss in a mention of the excellent program Calibre for ebook management, which can convert formats, and also break DRM if that's preventing the transition of your books from one device to another. I haven't played with this in years, but I used to use it a lot.
Magnus liked this
By cherie
I will second Dee's recommendation for Calibre. It's very versatile for changing formats and stripping DRM if needed to allow use on different devices. I got into the habit of performing that step on every ebook I purchase, as I don't trust Amazon to allow indefinite access to anything I've bought from them.
Magnus liked this
By Magnus
Yeah, I do need to give my library that treatment. The idea that I might not be able to access a book I've paid for is ridiculous and immoral.
cupiscent, xiagan liked this
By Hedin
As far as e-readers go, Kobo Libra and Kobo Clara seem to be the two e-readers outside of Kindles that seem popular in my reading circles.

I have only fiddled with Storybook a bit but it seems ok, I really only use those types of things as a personal record to keep track of.

I will also third the suggestion of using Calibre as well, it's great.
Magnus liked this
By ultamentkiller
Has anyone tried breaking DRM with Calibre recently? I tried it a couple times last year, but last I checked, the DRM plugins weren't able to work with the new kindle files. I used to use it all the time, so would love to find a solution.
Storygraph is great. I have a much better experience with it than Goodreads.
By Hedin
ultamentkiller wrote: February 12th, 2024, 22:04 Has anyone tried breaking DRM with Calibre recently? I tried it a couple times last year, but last I checked, the DRM plugins weren't able to work with the new kindle files. I used to use it all the time, so would love to find a solution.
I haven't bought anything on the Kindle store in a minute but used to be that you needed an older version of Kindle on PC to be able to download a Kindle book and strip the DRM.
By cherie
ultamentkiller wrote: February 12th, 2024, 22:04 Has anyone tried breaking DRM with Calibre recently? I tried it a couple times last year, but last I checked, the DRM plugins weren't able to work with the new kindle files. I used to use it all the time, so would love to find a solution.
Fairly recently; as in the last month or so. I've found that bought books work fine, but it won't work on anything you've had through kindle unlimited (can't remember if it's the same with prime).
By ultamentkiller
cherie wrote: February 13th, 2024, 09:04
Fairly recently; as in the last month or so. I've found that bought books work fine, but it won't work on anything you've had through kindle unlimited (can't remember if it's the same with prime).
And this is with the latest version of Kindle for PC? Or should I have a specific one? They discontinued the one that I was using to do it for a while.
By Hedin
Doing some digging it looks like Amazon changed the DRM for new books starting in Jan 2023. In theory books published before that you can still use an old Kindle PC version to grab the books but that won't work for new books.

I *think* if you have an older Kindle (and I don't know where the cutoff is) you might be to download to it via USB and then use Calibre from there. I haven't really sat down and tried to figure the steps out so it may be easy or it could be a pain. I do think this will drive me away from using the Kindle store permanently and will lead me to getting a different brand of ereader whenever I need a new one.