Fantasy & Beyond

A Book Forum for Speculative Fiction

A place to start read-alongs.
IMPORTANT: Please read the instructions before posting.

What book would you prefer for our first readalong?

A Psalm For the Wild-Build by Becky Chambers (2021, 160 pages)
33%
The Inverted World by Christopher Priest (1974, 256 pages)
8%
Dogs of War by Adrian Tchaikovsky (2017, 262 pages)
No votes
0%
This Is How You Lose the Time War by Amal el-Mohtar and Max Gladstone (2019, 209 pages)
33%
Sundiver by David Brin (1980, 240 pages)
No votes
0%
Solaris by Stanislaw Lem (1961, 204 pages)
No votes
0%
Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (1972, 145 pages)
25%
I am looking for something other than the above titles.
No votes
0%
By Magnus
Ok, it's time to get this thing going! I would love to do a bit more in-depth research and offer more insight into the various titles, but I realise that means I'll just keep putting this off. So instead, I've picked a number of books, focusing on shorter works. I've read all but two of them and I have reason to believe they all would make interesting discussion material, though some are admittedly more suitable for SF 'newbies' than others.

Please only vote for books you intend to join in the read-along for. The poll will run for just under two weeks, giving people who join after the public launch a chance to join in. And feel free to add thoughts and comments on the selection and how we might improve the selection process in the future! :)

P.S. Please note that you can vote for TWO books. :robot:
By ScarletBea
I voted for one: my library only has 2 (in paper format) from the list and I wasn't that keen on one of them when I read the summary.
By ScarletBea
There seems to be a tie, between Becky Chambers and Amal el-Mohtar + Max Gladstone.

I voted for the second one because that's the only one my library's got, so if you go ahead with the other, I won't participate.
Would people who voted for the other titles go with whatever wins in the end?
By DrNefario
I went with Time War because it's the only one I haven't already read. I don't even know if I am able to borrow it anywhere.

I'm happy to join in with the discussion whatever wins, though.

All of the others books are great, and they're all very readable except maybe Solaris, which is more cerebral and a bit harder work. The Chambers is Chambers - kind of cosy/twee - and maybe my least favourite on the list, but it's still fine, if that's what you're looking for.
By Magnus
I say we go with Time War then! I did listen to the Chambers book quite recently. I will set up threads this week, but everyone can get ready by securing a copy of the book.

So, our first read-along will be This Is How You Lose The Time War.
By ScarletBea
Reservation placed!
Can we start only next week? It's on the catalogue of a different town and they have to bring it to my village - they normally arrive on Fridays, but I'm not sure if it will be already day after tomorrow or only Friday 22...
By Magnus
Sure! Though we won't have a very tight schedule. I'll put up threads for something like one third of the book each, and people can respond at their own pace. But I suppose it's nice to try to sync it a little bit, and it makes sense to give people some time to get their hands on a copy.
By DaveBates
Sorry, I didn't post on my voting. I voted the two more recent ones since I assumed there was more chance people participating might not have read them and new experiences and all, but I'm happy to go with whatever works for people.

But it seems Time War is the winner, so I'll hunt it down. Looking forward to this.