Fantasy & Beyond

A Book Forum for Speculative Fiction

Discuss SFF books and authors here.
By lejays17
The first proper book for the Lifetime of Books.

The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper is the second of the 5 book sequence, and also the overall title of the series.
  • Over Sea, Under Stone
    The Dark is Rising
    Green witch
    The Grey King
    Silver on the Tree
Plot
On his 11th birthday, Will Stanton learns that he is the last of the Old Ones, and must find the Four Items of Power in order to assist the Light battle the forces of the Dark. The first item is the six Circles of Power, and the novel focuses on that quest.

The series draws on Arthurian legends (the Grail, Merlin), Celtic & Norse mythology & other English folktales.

Why I Like It
This was a continuation of the early love of Arthurian legends, and Celtic mythology in general. I like most of the main characters, and they’re all written with distinct different personalities. Bran would be the least favourite, I find his self-centred ness to be very annoying whenever he’s the focus of the scenes.
The quest song has foreshadowing for both this book and the rest of the series as a whole.

There was a film made in 2017 called The Seeker. It is terrible :scream: & not worth the time…
Elfy liked this
lejays17 wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 09:05 The first proper book for the Lifetime of Books.

The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper is the second of the 5 book sequence, and also the overall title of the series.
  • Over Sea, Under Stone
    The Dark is Rising
    Green witch
    The Grey King
    Silver on the Tree
Plot
On his 11th birthday, Will Stanton learns that he is the last of the Old Ones, and must find the Four Items of Power in order to assist the Light battle the forces of the Dark. The first item is the six Circles of Power, and the novel focuses on that quest.

The series draws on Arthurian legends (the Grail, Merlin), Celtic & Norse mythology & other English folktales.

Why I Like It
This was a continuation of the early love of Arthurian legends, and Celtic mythology in general. I like most of the main characters, and they’re all written with distinct different personalities. Bran would be the least favourite, I find his self-centred ness to be very annoying whenever he’s the focus of the scenes.
The quest song has foreshadowing for both this book and the rest of the series as a whole.

There was a film made in 2017 called The Seeker. It is terrible :scream: & not worth the time…
I can’t remember this all that well, but I did like the Arthurian connection, and also the comfortable and genuinely warm feeling that Cooper imbued the family scenes with.
Agree with you about the film, awful attempt to film a good book.
DrNefario wrote:This is another one I read fairly recently.

It didn't wholly work for me. I enjoyed the first book, which is kind of a treasure hunt full of puzzles, but the series takes a more serious turn from book 2, and some of the fun goes out of it. One I'd perhaps have appreciated more at the right age.
My favourite is the first one, by a long way. The puzzle/mystery appeals to me more than the Quest nature of the rest of them.
My second-favourite is Greenwitch (the 3rd one). I suspect my choices have a lot to do with Jane being my favourite character of the five of them.
I didn’t realise at the time, but I was introduced to other folktales in them as well as the more obvious Arthurian stuff. Herne the Hunter, Weyland the Smith, the foretold Sleepers under the Hill.