Fantasy & Beyond

A Book Forum for Speculative Fiction

Post about your blog, promote your writing, or drop links to competitions, sales, or giveaways.
IMPORTANT: Posts in this subforum made by new members will be put in a moderation queue.

This is the only place (except your signature) where you may self-promote. You can also post other promotional links provided that they might be of interest to members of these forums, for example book deals, competitions, & giveaways.

FORBIDDEN: Drive-by marketing, gratuitous or spammy ads.
By Peat
In this thread I will be posting links to my blog as the mood strikes me/I have really good stuff to share

In this instance we have the January round-up as a digest - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/2024/02/ ... 4-roundup/

And one of my greatest reviews ever - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/2024/01/ ... r-edition/

And my books of 23 - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/2024/01/ ... d-in-2023/
By ScarletBea
I totally recommend this blog: from reviews written in different styles, to almost-philosophical musings about the genre, not to mention funny lists and discovering great music, I've been reading it for a few years now :100:
Peat, xiagan liked this
By Peat
Thank you as ever for your kind words Bea. Every now and again I think about how many people really like what I'm doing here and just feel very happy.

Anyway, I forgot the February round-up - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/2024/03/ ... 4-roundup/

And here's a post from it about ratings that I wanted to highlight - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/2024/02/ ... -can-mean/
By cupiscent
I quite liked Peat's thinking about stories and "appreciation bottlenecks", as inspired by my sharing on here about my in-laws and The Good Place. I think "bottleneck" is a really useful term, both as a reader (here are the "hard no" elements for me, which is a useful thing to know about yourself so you can just avoid the stuff that won't spark joy) and as a writer (so you can come to terms with the fact that there are going to be some people who just will not pick up what you're putting down). That latter thing has been so useful for me as a new-published writer, because I've read so many negative reviews where I've gone, "Yeah, you are not my audience, and that's fine." (Anyone who says "why did she use this three-syllable word instead of a simple one?" for instance...)
ScarletBea, Magnus, Peat liked this
By DragonFlame
I've read so many negative reviews where I've gone, "Yeah, you are not my audience, and that's fine." (Anyone who says "why did she use this three-syllable word instead of a simple one?" for instance...)
Very glad you can take that approach, even for less biased complaints, cupi.
We are in a world where anyone can make a comment any time about anything , whether they have knowledge or not. We really do not need to care a jot about others think unless the criticism is informed, constructive or from those we trust. But you are mature enough to recognise this, I am so sorry for young writers who are seriously hurt by the spite thrown around so freely.

BTW, I am thoroughly enjoying Notorious Sorcerer, but have had to get a kindle version as well as audible because I keep forgetting what I last heard. ;) It will take me a long time, but will be a great pleasure.
Your city is a delight, thank you for the map which really helps orient the action.Personally I would have liked a character list as well because there are so many, and they each have two names, but again only to aid my awful memory. :happy:
ScarletBea, cupiscent liked this
By Peat
cupiscent wrote: March 30th, 2024, 22:30 (Anyone who says "why did she use this three-syllable word instead of a simple one?" for instance...)
People never fail to astound me even when I've accepted they are the way they are. I guess call that eternal optimism!

I'm glad you liked that one though. I have to admit I sort of felt like I was stating the very obvious after a while. "Yup, here's an idea I heard and it's obviously correct and applies to lots of things, taaa-daaaaah!"
DragonFlame liked this
By Elfy
I saw something on Peat's blog about someone looking at their favourite books throughout their life for each year they've been alive. I thought that might be a fun exercise, so I plan to go through what was published each year of my life, pick out a favourite (they'll be mostly, if not exclusively SFF) and each week write a few words about it.
DragonFlame, Peat liked this
By DragonFlame
Elfy wrote:I saw something on Peat's blog about someone looking at their favourite books throughout their life for each year they've been alive. I thought that might be a fun exercise, so I plan to go through what was published each year of my life, pick out a favourite (they'll be mostly, if not exclusively SFF) and each week write a few words about it.
This sounds fun, but deadly for the TBR piles. It deserves a topic of its own and the possibility of adapting to circumstance. You really do not need a book for each of my years, but I would love to pick out many years that had some outstanding books published. :happy:
Elfy, Peat liked this