Fantasy & Beyond

A Book Forum for Speculative Fiction

Discuss SFF books and authors here.
By ScarletBea
I've got 31 unread books home. 31! :scream:
2 of them are non-fiction and 6 are non-SFF from a competition I won, but that still leaves 23 books, more than I ever had in the past, and it's getting to me, haha

Some are books 1+2 where I'm waiting for 3 to be published and read the trilogy in one go.
Others are old books from my teenage years I discovered at my parents last time I visited and brought home to eventually re-read.
And I keep buying paperback launches of books I know I *really* I want to read.

To top it all, I'm actually currently re-reading a 5-book series (why oh why did I start it? :eyeroll: - I'm loving it, so I'll ignore that voice in my brain)

I think I'll stay away from the library for quite a long time...

How's your TBR?
xiagan liked this
By cherie
I've got about 10 times that many unread books on my shelves.

There are some that I'm unlikely to ever read, but can't part with, and others that seemed like a good idea when I picked them up, but have had no interest in actually reading them. Others I buy with the intention of reading them, but I only have so many free hours in a day...
xiagan liked this
By Hedin
I still have not maintained any sort of TBR*. I am a one book at a time person, when I finish something and ready for something new then I will pick it up but I generally don't stack them. It's even more pronounced now in that I don't buy any physical media anymore, the only exception is that I do get physical books of my favorite series to put on my bookshelf but that's a pretty static collection and doesn't really grow. I think overtime with all the kids' clutter I decided I didn't want more of my own to handle. I donated a large set of books last summer and it was a bit weird. I pulled them all of my shelves for a few months before I did anything with them to see if I really missed having them around and I did pull back a couple books because of that but then everything else either didn't have that pull (i.e. the odds of me reading it again were small and the likelihood of being able to track it back down again in some format if I really wanted to) went away.

*Exception #1 - multiple books come off hold at the library at roughly the same time
*Exception #2 - I just got the whole DIscworld set from Humble for $18. I have no idea when I will ever get around to them but for $18 for like 39 books I couldn't say no.
By HormannAlex
I'm at a TBR factor of 44, which is the highest it's been in several years. Thankfully this means I don't have to buy any books for the next few months. On the downside, many are book ones in series, so the potential TBR growth is considerable
By Elfy
We’re like Cherie. Our TBR would be into the 100’s easily, I think. I try not to let it stress me. I suppose my habit of rereading stuff doesn’t help, but I do read 3 - 4 books at any one time and the bulk of them are new.
By ScarletBea
Thing is, for me if a book is bought it means I really want to read it, and soon. So having so many unread feels like a waste...
By cupiscent
My physical TBR at the moment is large for me - which means it's about five books? (It was up to nine but I've been whittling it down.) My borrow-from-library TBR, however, is massive as ever. I've been whittling hard at my goodreads to-read list, tossing books aside if they no longer sound interesting to me, but it's still 193 books long. Though admittedly a few of those are books that I may never get around to reading, either because it's been years (hello A Memory of Light) or they may never actually get published...
By Peat
ScarletBea wrote: February 14th, 2024, 14:26
How's your TBR?
Ask no questions and you'll be told no lies.

(My physical tbr is actually very small due to necessity and will likely stay that way for a long time).
ScarletBea liked this
By ScarletBea
Peat wrote:
ScarletBea wrote: February 14th, 2024, 14:26
How's your TBR?
Ask no questions and you'll be told no lies.

(My physical tbr is actually very small due to necessity and will likely stay that way for a long time).
:phew:
And yes, I meant physical one (also a comment for Hedin).
I was rearranging my shelves the other day to include the books bought in the last month and it suddenly hit me how many there I hadn't read yet...
By lejays17
Elfy & I were chatting a bit about this (while looking at the teetering piles of books in the corner of the loungeroom :peek: :peek: )

There are definitely our own piles of reading material - historical fiction for me, non-fiction for him - but we also have combined piles too.
So does the combined group count as one or two books when counting? It is only a single book, but it belongs on both TBR…

Either way, it’s a lot. And it’s probably time for another cull. We have a younger acquaintance who reads a lot of fantasy, and we pass along stuff to her a bit.
ScarletBea liked this