Fantasy & Beyond

A Book Forum for Speculative Fiction

Discuss SFF books and authors here.
By ScarletBea
I'm currently re-reading the Dagger and the Coin series, by Daniel Abraham, and I'm about halfway through book 2 (of 5), The King's blood

Banking and political plots, they're my kind of thing!

I read them about 5 years ago and honestly, apart from very specific scenes and moments (and a couple of the characters), I could be reading something new and not notice :beaming:
The difference is that I just know I'm going to love all books, haha
By Magnus
I'm listening to The Blacktongue Thief by Christopher Buehlman. It is excellently read by the author himself! He does read with a bit of an accent. I thoroughly enjoy it, but it might put some people off.It's a stand-alone fantasy novel with a well-realised setting and a lot of dark humour that I really like. I have no idea how I picked it up as it's been in my library for some time. Perhaps someone on FF recommended it? I do sometimes pick up random titles that I'm recommended by Audible, but I'm not sure if that was the case here...

I'm also reading A Master of Djinn, which I am enjoying so far, though I haven't gotten very far. This one I believe I picked up because of the Goodreads awards.

It's nice to be back! :)
By DrNefario
Hi, and welcome back, anyone else who makes it.

I'm reading Blackstone Fortress by Darius Hinks, not only a Warhammer 40K novel, but also one which ties in with the board game Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress. I played the game for the first time last year, and enjoyed it, so I decided to investigate the backstory. I'm enjoying it so far.
By JMack
Well, a lot of things. Think of my brain as having many books with place-markers.

On Audible:
  • (most active) Just One Look, by Harlan Coben (mystery novel)
  • A Gentleman of Moscow, by Amor Towles (historical fiction, which a friend with good taste says is maybe her favorite book ever; slow, stately, erudite)
  • Age of Swords, Michael J Sullivan ("myth" time period of the delightful Ryria world, but not very delightful as a book)
  • (what you should read right now) A Crown for Cold Silver, Alex Marshall (first book in the Crimson Empire trilogy; a re-listen; fantastic stuff; loved this)
On Paper/Kindle
  • The Bible (and actually on Audible, too; because I'm a Christian believer who reads this stuff)
  • The Way of St. Francis, Murray Bodo (because see above, and because we're going to Assisi September 2024
DragonFlame liked this
By Hedin
The last book I finished was Lightbringer by Pierce Brown (Red Rising book #6). I thought Book #4 was just OK and hated Book #5 to the point that I almost didn't even bother with this one but I am glad I did because I thought it was pretty good.

Currently I am starting something that might be a little too ambitious with my current life but we'll see. Since Sanderson's Stormlight #5 comes out in December I decided that I would re-read all of the Cosmere books to date. Looking at the list I am not sure if I can make it, especially if I sprinkle some palate cleansers in there, but I still want to see how much I can do. So with that decided I started to read Mistborn #1 the other day, still only about 25% done though.
By cupiscent
Magnus wrote:I'm also reading A Master of Djinn, which I am enjoying so far, though I haven't gotten very far. This one I believe I picked up because of the Goodreads awards.
I'm reading this one too! Only a handful of chapters in, and it's a little bit more... Slick-cool-bubblegum genre? than I personally like. There's just something about the episodic nature of the chapters, the cool-and-shiny sheen on everything, that makes it not quite entirely to my taste. And I'd like to see the main character have more skin in the game. But it's a fascinating setting!
By Elfy
And so it begins (again). As usual reading multiple books. 2 fantasy, 1 mystery and 1 biography.
The biography is Being Henry by Henry 'The Fonz' Winkler
The mystery is Everyone on this Train is a Suspect by Aussie writer Benjamin Stevenson, it's the sequel to Everyone in this Family has Killed Someone.
Fantasy are The Hedgewitch by Cari Thomas, it's a novella set in the same world as Threadneedle. It's a kind of prequel starring my favourite character from Threadneedle.
The other fantasy is a reread, I am still going through Discworld and now I'm up to Thief of Time. Although, I'm rereading the entire thing, which kind of indicates I had read them all before, I'm discovering that I must have not read all of them before, because I am finding a lot of things that are new to me, which is great. Thief of Time, is one I definitely have read before, though. Can't miss a Death book.
By Elfy
cupiscent wrote: January 30th, 2024, 03:20
Magnus wrote:I'm also reading A Master of Djinn, which I am enjoying so far, though I haven't gotten very far. This one I believe I picked up because of the Goodreads awards.
I'm reading this one too! Only a handful of chapters in, and it's a little bit more... Slick-cool-bubblegum genre? than I personally like. There's just something about the episodic nature of the chapters, the cool-and-shiny sheen on everything, that makes it not quite entirely to my taste. And I'd like to see the main character have more skin in the game. But it's a fascinating setting!
I enjoyed this, and I'd really like to read the novella that gave birth to it, but cannot find it anywhere.
By ScarletBea
Elfy wrote:
cupiscent wrote: January 30th, 2024, 03:20
I enjoyed this, and I'd really like to read the novella that gave birth to it, but cannot find it anywhere.
I've read it too, and it was a quick different book, I think, I enjoyed it.

And @Elfy , I think this is the story you mean - it's in the (old Tor) Reactor site and it's a short story rather than a novella (unless there's another one):
https://reactormag.com/a-dead-djinn-in-cairo/
Elfy liked this