Fantasy & Beyond

A Book Forum for Speculative Fiction

Discuss SFF films, TV series, games, comics, and other media here.
IMPORTANT: Please use the relevant topic prefix tag (or tags). You can find them in the editor by clicking the list symbol to the left of the subject line.
By Henry Dale
Another F-F thread to resurrect from the dead :happy:

I managed to get a copy of Chang'an San Wan Li (30,000 miles from Chang'an).
It's an animated movie that released last year and is about the friendship between the poets Gao Shi and Li Bai during the golden age of the Tang dynasty. (Chang'an was the end point of the silk road at the time)

It features 48 classical poems so definitely fits the theme of writing!

What have you guys been watching of late?
By Magnus
Hmm, in the SFF category, not much. I did watch Rebel Moon for a laugh—which it certainly was. It is the kind of awfully bad that makes it fun to watch. And I think it's an excellent example of someone who is skilled at one thing (directing) believing it automatically makes them skilled at another (writing). Spoiler alert: it doesn't. The story, setting, and dialogue are all straight out of the early SF Pulp magazines, and not in a good way.

As much as I find it amusing, it bothers me to see so much money spent on bad storytelling when there are so many excellent storytellers out there who are struggling to get by. I felt the same about the latest installment of James Cameron's Avatar, whose storytelling is, in my opinion, unforgivably bad for a film that cost $350 million to make.
Henry Dale, cupiscent liked this
By Henry Dale
Magnus wrote:Hmm, in the SFF category, not much. I did watch Rebel Moon for a laugh—which it certainly was. It is the kind of awfully bad that makes it fun to watch. And I think it's an excellent example of someone who is skilled at one thing (directing) believing it automatically makes them skilled at another (writing). Spoiler alert: it doesn't. The story, setting, and dialogue are all straight out of the early SF Pulp magazines, and not in a good way.

As much as I find it amusing, it bothers me to see so much money spent on bad storytelling when there are so many excellent storytellers out there who are struggling to get by. I felt the same about the latest installment of James Cameron's Avatar, whose storytelling is, in my opinion, unforgivably bad for a film that cost $350 million to make.
I do agree a lot of money is wasted on bad movies.
On the other hand, I try to keep in mind that movies like Avatar can, despite their bad writing, push technological advancement in filming/special effects to aid maybe a better script in the future? Or it's just for creative bookkeeping, who knows :P
ScarletBea liked this
By cupiscent
I have become really bad at watching things. Part of it is lack of time - what with writing and reading and parenting, I have little time for watching media - but also watching things is hard work, partly because my decades of loud music are catching up to the clarity of my hearing, and I literally cannot understand the dialogue in 90% of media.

We are currently trying to watch the second series of Wheel of Time, but it's becoming a running joke that suggesting we watch an episode is a great way to get me to do literally anything else I've been procrastinating on. I actually am enjoying the show - I find the changes they've made and the ways that shines new light on the story really fascinating - but sitting down for an hour to watch it just seems impossible.
By Henry Dale
I'm watching Avatar the last airbender (new Netflix series) at the moment.
Despite the rather vocal criticisms online I actually really like it.

What are people's opinions on this?
By Magnus
I've watched two episodes, and I've enjoyed it so far! Though I do feel it's moving a little too fast. It's been ages since I saw the original series, but one of the things I appreciated about it was that it took its time showing the character development. There doesn't seem to be room for that here, which is a huge shame. Otherwise, I am enjoying the execution.

But I think people tend to have unrealistic expectations of live action adaptations in general. They will never be the same thing; that's the point. And for a popular and loved franchise like the Last Airbender, there will always be people who make a lot of noise about how they don't like the new film/season/adaptation/whatever. It just comes with the territory. I think the main problem is that they get heard a lot more in the modern landscape of social media and content sites who thrive on manufactured controversy and rage. Which is not to say there aren't relevant criticisms. Only that I don't really pay attention to people who want to shout them into my ear... :eyeroll:
Henry Dale liked this
By cherie
We've started watching season two of Sweet Home (on Netflix), which is a South Korean series based on a webtoon. People start turning into monsters, and season one follows a group of survivors holed up in their apartment block, season two sees them move out into what's left of the world.

A fun, and interesting variation on the zombie apocalypse. My only issue is that I'd prefer to watch it subtitled, but my OH can't read them quick enough to keep up, so having to watch it dubbed. :uglycry:
By Arun-Bender
Fast X

At this point, they are just talking the p*ss. Random nonsense.

2/10

The Marvels

Confused and a complete mess. So bad that even a bunch of cute kittens couldn't save the movie.

2/10

Aquaman

Same old same old.

3/10
By Elfy
Arun-Bender wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 13:47 Fast X

At this point, they are just talking the p*ss. Random nonsense.

2/10

The Marvels

Confused and a complete mess. So bad that even a bunch of cute kittens couldn't save the movie.

2/10

Aquaman

Same old same old.

3/10
The Fast movies have been taking the piss for at least 5 films now.
Lejays and I seem to be in the minority about The Marvels/b] in that we enjoyed it. We both like Kamala, so that may account for it.
Agree on Aquaman. I was hoping for something different, but it didn’t deliver. I think everyone is kind of superheroed out at this point. Not just audiences, but film makers, too.