Fantasy & Beyond

A Book Forum for Speculative Fiction

Off-topic discussion.
By Carter
So, apparently I've been living under a rock and only today discovered that Worldcon this year is in Glasgow (thanks to a poster on a train). Since, that's really not far from me, I'm now figuring out just how much I'll be trying to attend.

Anyone else heading to it this year?
By lejays17
Too far for us, but we really enjoyed attending AussieCon back in the day.

We stayed in the adjoining hotel & “had breakfast” with a number of authors each morning :lol:

So much to do & see & experience - we were knackered each night.

So yes, do go if you can!
By Elfy
We went to two others as well as Aussiecon. Renovation in Reno, which was great and then LonCon where I met Scott Lynch and also did a great meet with an author thing with Cat Valente. She is highly entertaining.
It’s a really worthwhile event to go to if you can.
By Carter
Thanks all. I'm definitely planning on going and it was more of a case of "how many days". It's much too close for to do anything else, although I'll likely just travel through each day.

I also attended LonCon @Elfy - albeit in my BC days (before Cat Valente). Thoroughly enjoyed it but it remains my only real convention attendance of any sort. It will be good to make this my second and then actually start looking out for more in the future.
By HormannAlex
Worldcon is one of those events I've always wanted to go to, but mostly because of the simple fact it's Worldcon. The announced guests don't exactly thrill me (although Fangorn has a fun David Gemmell connection), and I find the entire affair absolutely impenetrable. I mean, it's less than two months away and I couldn't tell you a single panel or event happening there.
By cupiscent
HormannAlex wrote: June 27th, 2024, 20:00Worldcon is one of those events I've always wanted to go to, but mostly because of the simple fact it's Worldcon. The announced guests don't exactly thrill me (although Fangorn has a fun David Gemmell connection), and I find the entire affair absolutely impenetrable. I mean, it's less than two months away and I couldn't tell you a single panel or event happening there.
I mean, at two months out, I'd be surprised if they had finalised the program of panels. (Local cons here usually have the program up a couple of weeks before the event; for a worldcon, they might get it up sooner, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it took more wrangling and was delayed.) But there will be so many panels, and also readings and presentations and signings and... There will almost always be something interesting going on, but also a big part of going to a convention is just hanging around in the hallways / bar / other spaces and chatting with people.

There's also, obviously, the Hugo Awards, which are going to be very interesting after last year's debacle.

(Also, on the topic of Aussiecons, esp. of interest to @Elfy and @lejays17, the bid for a worldcon in Brisbane is alive again, and aiming for 2028. The only current competing bid is in Uganda, and as much as I would love to see more genuinely world worldcons, there are a lot of concerns about that location, especially after the China problems last year.)
By Elfy
I didn’t know about the Brisbane bid, but I’d definitely be up for it if they win it. The previous times it’s been held in Australia it’s always been Melbourne, so another city deserves a shot. Like cupiscent said Worldcon is not about the guests or speakers of honour, it’s about celebrating the genre and the fans. Admittedly the authors are the rockstars of the whole thing, though.
lejays17 liked this
By Carter
Well, I am all ticketed up for it now. Still not certain exactly how many days I'll go for (at least 3 though) and that may depend on the final programme. Definitely looking forward to it.